The Fourth of July, a day that almost every American celebrates whether with a pool party, a big family cook out, or even just watching the parade on Channel 4, these cupcakes can add extra flair to however you celebrate your independence.
Here we take vanilla cupcakes, a classic American favorite that is known for bringing a warm welcoming flavor to any home, and add in a funky frosting that throws in a patriotic decoration that shows off the colors of our beautiful flag. I hope that you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I do, and that they live up to the American dream, as always check back often!
Fourth of July Cupcakes
Yields 4 cupcakes
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
4 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons milk (whole or 2%)
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 small pinch salt
Milk, as needed to reach your desired consistency
Red and blue food coloring (optional)
1. For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tray with 4 paper liners.
2. Beat together the melted butter and sugar, and then beat in the milk, egg, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir just to combine.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared tray and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 22 minutes. Cool completely.
4. When the cupcakes are cool, make the frosting. Beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. If the frosting needs to be thinned out, add milk a little at a time while beating until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. To make the red and blue swirl frosting, add a couple drops of red and blue food coloring and swirl it around in the frosting (be careful not to mix completely or you’ll get purple frosting).
6. Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes and serve.